Numerous business owners execute many of the same tasks on their computers daily. Wouldn’t it be a bad idea if there were a faster and better way to do these mundane tasks? For example, a programmable keyboard may be useful instead for searching through your laptop for specific apps or opening frequently used documents. These items contain buttons programmed to execute specific tasks such as opening programs or cutting and pasting text. Other choices are designed for content creation, photo editing, and gaming.
WHAT IS A PROGRAMMABLE KEYBOARD?
A programmable keyboard can be programmed to conduct a range of bespoke commands using hotkeys. Many keyboards are programmable, allowing users to set up many hotkeys to access frequently used programs. Still, other keyboards have been specifically created for programmable functionality, with various potential combinations. In addition, a programmable keyboard is often maintained by a computer utility that can be used to record the desired commands.
Some are completely customizable. As a result, all buttons can be assigned to the numerous operations you use regularly. Others have only a tiny section of customizable buttons. As a result, you can use the rest as a normal keyboard. A programmable keyboard is ideal if you’re looking for a solution to save time and eliminate repetition in your busy day.
A simple programmable keyboard might contain a row of buttons along the keypad’s margin that can be used to open preferred programs with a single click. For example, the user could link the first button to an email application, the second to a web browser, and the third to a word editing program, providing easy access to these frequently used apps. In addition, hotkeys on the keyboard can be used to magnify or reduce the size of an image on the screen and suspend or hibernate the computer.
There are two kinds of programmable keyboards: those that allow you to reprogram any key on the keyboard (“fully-programmable”) and those that add additional keys for programming macros. Programmable keyboards are popular among gamers who employ powerful macros that require extra keys to trigger, but they are also effective productivity tools at home or in the workplace.
Programmable keyboards allow you to electronically move keys and, in many cases, interchange the physical keycaps. A novelist, for example, may be quite content with the traditional QWERTY layout. Yet, QWERTY may be completely unsuitable for a software engineer, who would greatly benefit from a custom keyboard layout. This is because most software languages need substantial use of the modifier, punctuation, and function keys. Still, those keys were placed on a traditional keyboard decades ago when keyboard users were largely typing prose.
The greatest programmable keyboards (such as those manufactured by Protolab) enable users to design several layouts that can be used in a way that can be exchanged depending on the task, application, or user.
USE OF PROGRAMMABLE KEYBOARD
- To increase efficiency.
- To create shortcuts that are otherwise unavailable on traditional keyboards.
- Allows users to create macros and save time while performing tasks (Keyboard macros are effective productivity aids for reducing repetitive keystrokes and eliminating difficult key combinations. A macro combines keystrokes triggered by a single key press to save time and effort. This is an important use of a programmable keyboard).
- It can be used for various applications or software, such as coding, programming, gaming, and video and audio editing.
- Programmable keyboards are for more accurate outputs and thus are one of the most time-efficient input devices.
- You can create your actions with Advanced Scripting, Program keyboard shortcuts, text snippets, or launch programs.
- The connector comes with additional USB ports to link with more input devices.
- They are part of the controller assembly in aviation, defense, heavy machinery manufacturing, robotics, etc.
If you like a custom programmable keyboard or are searching for the best keyboard for programmers, then you should check out Protolab’s offerings. Protolab is highly experienced in manufacturing both fully programmable and partial programmable keyboards. For the best programmable keyboard in India, Protolab input devices have you covered.